Saturday, January 26, 2013

Various - Dennis Hopper in "The American Dreamer" (Mediarts, 1971)




This is the soundtrack to The American Dreamer, a documentary about actor Dennis Hopper. The soundtrack is composed of acoustic tracks by various artists, and features two songs by one of The Byrds founding members Gene Clark. John Manning has two acoustic versions of songs off his album White Bear. The album captures the isolated, individualistic sentiments of the movie and of Hopper himself. This is a rare piece of American folk and I doubt it will ever be properly reissued, so get it here.

5 comments:

  1. Thx so much for the upload. checked your blog once in a while, good to see there is a new gem to be discovered...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you're still watching! Please see my new post on The Magnetic Garden for an update on the status of my blogs.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, just had a peek. Dl'ing 'Discoveries In A Brief Moment of Clarity'... Interested to see where it leads. Been diving head first into obscure musical depths these days, some of which lead back to cinema etc. If the latter should be something you're interested in, check out timespentwatching.wordpress.com - a film review blog a friend of mine and I are building up. Especially Tarkovsky's films often have enchantingly great early Soviet electronica soundtracks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, tried to comment on your other blog but the comment-function seems to be blocked or something. just wanted to say: great work on "Discoveries In A Brief Moment of Clarity." Love it. It's not a new invention of the wheel, but it doesn't need to be. It's got lots of little details and intricacies to go for it. thx for the upload

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick, sorry I forgot to publish your other comment. I appreciate the feedback on my album, and I'm really glad you like it! If you're interested, stay tuned to my bandcamp page beacuse I'll be posting more material soon. I've also starting transferring records again and will have a few new posts up soon. Thanks again for your consistent feedback.

      Delete